Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Is it Just Religion?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    4

    Is it Just Religion?

    I am a Jehovah's Witness but I am curious if there are others refusing blood because of the risks involved?

  2. New Feature! NoBlood Answers!

    • ASK questions regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.
    • SHARE your facts, opinions and personal experience.
    • DISCOVER the best answers chosen by Healthcare Professionals and the Public.
    • RANK the best answers.

    Click here to see the Best Answers to Top Questions.

  3. #2
    In my experience of managing a Blood Conservation Program, about 85% of the patients we see are Jehovah's Witnesses requesting treatment without the use of donor blood. The other 15% are patients who are concerned with the safety of blood and would prefer not to take a blood transfusion, but would as a last resort if it meant loss of life or limb. Surprisingly, I have seen patients from many different religions say they do not want blood and consider blood sacred and have a personal conviction to neither give away their blood or accept someone else's. So I guess the short answer is yes, there are others who refuse due to the risks involved, but the majority avoid blood primarily for religious reasons.

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    4
    Thank you for your response!



    Quote Originally Posted by markeldredge View Post
    In my experience of managing a Blood Conservation Program, about 85% of the patients we see are Jehovah's Witnesses requesting treatment without the use of donor blood. The other 15% are patients who are concerned with the safety of blood and would prefer not to take a blood transfusion, but would as a last resort if it meant loss of life or limb. Surprisingly, I have seen patients from many different religions say they do not want blood and consider blood sacred and have a personal conviction to neither give away their blood or accept someone else's. So I guess the short answer is yes, there are others who refuse due to the risks involved, but the majority avoid blood primarily for religious reasons.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •