Thread: Risks of blood fractions

Risks of blood fractions

I am looking for a previous thread dealing with the risks associated with blood fractions, but I can't seem to find it! Does anyone have a link to it?

I realise that all biological products carry some element of risk, but I understand that some blood fractions carry more than others... for instance, some plasma-derived products are not sterilised, such as cryoprecipitate, and therefore they carry the same risk as blood transfusion, including HIV etc.

The reason I ask is that before surgery a few years ago I requested that no non-sterilised plasma products be used... the anesthetist had no idea what I was talking about! I am due for surgery again in a number of months and just want to clarify the matter in my own mind again.

For clarification, I have no objections morally to having blood fractions, but I do not wish those that carry the same risk as blood transfusion.

Thanks for any help or input...

2. New Feature! NoBlood Answers!

• ASK questions regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.
    • SHARE your facts, opinions and personal experience.
    • DISCOVER the best answers chosen by Healthcare Professionals and the Public.
    • RANK the best answers.

Click here to see the Best Answers to Top Questions.

Fractions and Disease

Quote Originally Posted by jules1 View Post
    I am looking for a previous thread dealing with the risks associated with blood fractions, but I can't seem to find it! Does anyone have a link to it?

I realise that all biological products carry some element of risk, but I understand that some blood fractions carry more than others... for instance, some plasma-derived products are not sterilised, such as cryoprecipitate, and therefore they carry the same risk as blood transfusion, including HIV etc.

The reason I ask is that before surgery a few years ago I requested that no non-sterilised plasma products be used... the anesthetist had no idea what I was talking about! I am due for surgery again in a number of months and just want to clarify the matter in my own mind again.

For clarification, I have no objections morally to having blood fractions, but I do not wish those that carry the same risk as blood transfusion.

Thanks for any help or input...
    I found this answer submitted in 2007 by a Jess Verasco?? that addressed the issue when asked back then (2007) by someone who asked the very same question as you did.

Fractions and Disease

Just a short answer-if you can't find the thread. Almost all fractionated products are heat-treated or sterilized by a specific process, the only one I am currently aware of is Cryoprecipitate. Heat would inactiviate the effectiveness of the medication. The production of this medication utilizes units of fresh frozen plasma, that is allowed to thaw, then is place in a centrifuge to "spin" at the correct force to form a "buffy" coat and then harvest the clotting factors that precipitate out of the buffy coat.