Thread: Less Blood Loss w/da Vinci?

Less Blood Loss w/da Vinci?

I am scheduled for a hysterectomy in 3 days. The doctor is planning to do the surgery via the da Vinci robotic method. Is this procedure better for reducing blood loss during surgery than an otherwise lap procedure? I have had 3 other major(open) surgeries (gastric bypass) in the past 6 years and each has resulted in lowered hemoglobin (to 8.0) afterwards, and am wondering if this may be due to the 'open' procedure rather than lap or robot.

2. New Feature! NoBlood Answers!

• ASK questions regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.
    • SHARE your facts, opinions and personal experience.
    • DISCOVER the best answers chosen by Healthcare Professionals and the Public.
    • RANK the best answers.

Click here to see the Best Answers to Top Questions.

Generally, an open procedure causes more blood loss and physical trauma that laparoscopic. The Da Vinci is useful for its exactness, very small incision and enhanced vision with the goal of lowering impact on the body. This includes lowering blood loss.

Here's the company website - Intuitive Surgical - da Vinci Surgical System

Here's a quote from White Plains Hospital who uses the system:

Some of the major benefits experienced by surgeons using the da Vinci Surgical System over traditional approaches have been greater surgical precision, increased range of motion, improved dexterity, enhanced visualization and improved access. Benefits experienced by patients may include a shorter hospital stay, less pain, less risk of infection, less blood loss, fewer transfusions, less scarring, faster recovery and a quicker return to normal daily activities. None of these benefits can be guaranteed, of course, as surgery is necessarily both patient- and procedure-specific.

http://www.wphospital.org/Programs-S...al-System.aspx
    Last edited by Jan B. Wade; 12-27-2011 at 05:15 PM.
    Mr. Jan B. Wade
    Admin
    Email

Click here for the Best Questions and Answers regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.

Yes, robotic surgery involves less blood loss and as a result, less hemoglobin loss. You’ll also experience less post-operative pain and less chances of infection after surgery. Recovery time will be less, but remember this is still a major operation so your body will take about 4 weeks to fully recover from this operation. I’m sure your doctor will prepare and caution you about things you should and should not do immediately after operation. I had mine done at Jersey Shore and I’m really grateful for the entire staff at the department of robotic surgery (New Jersey). This type of surgery was new to me and I had lots of questions and they patiently explained everything!

I have blood blisters in my mouth from my disease what can I do to heal them? My plalets are probably 2000. Thanks for the help.