Thread: Cell Saver Tech/Autotransfusionist

Cell Saver Tech/Autotransfusionist

I was wondering what type of certification the Autotransfusionist/Cell Saver techs have & what exactly you have to do to receive the certification.

Are there are any of certification courses you can take to get certified in order to increase your chances of getting into one of these positions? Trying to find out as much info as I can, and figured i'd start by asking those who do it everyday, all the time as a career without getting steered wrong.

2. New Feature! NoBlood Answers!

• ASK questions regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.
    • SHARE your facts, opinions and personal experience.
    • DISCOVER the best answers chosen by Healthcare Professionals and the Public.
    • RANK the best answers.

Click here to see the Best Answers to Top Questions.

Healthcare Professional
    Most are Certified Surgical Techs that are trained by the local hospital or company. However, a clinical program is being developed by Dr. Jon Waters, University of Pittsburg. This should help to bring a standard of quality to the industry. In addition, diferent states may have different statutes, as different hospitals also may have their own standard. Perfusionists requires a college degree. Some perfusionist also operate cell salvage equipment as do nurses. I have known of EMT and Paramedics also being trained.
    Yvette Bunch

cell saver question

I too am interested in taking this course. Please let me know if you find out any information.
    Thanks
    Jenny
    Quote Originally Posted by medsurg03 View Post
    I was wondering what type of certification the Autotransfusionist/Cell Saver techs have & what exactly you have to do to receive the certification.

Are there are any of certification courses you can take to get certified in order to increase your chances of getting into one of these positions? Trying to find out as much info as I can, and figured i'd start by asking those who do it everyday, all the time as a career without getting steered wrong.

Dear Yvette,
    I will be visiting Pittsburg in September for the annual SABM conference. If you could send me any information regarding the cell saver program possibly from Dr. Waters, could you let me know? Maybe I could stop by and inquire further.
    Thanks
    Jennygrl