Thread: aortic anuerysm ascending & aortic valve repair

Question aortic anuerysm ascending & aortic valve repair

I'm a 58 yr old JW who will most likely need surgery for the above condition. I've been researching surgeons in Florida, because we live in Sarasota Fl.. I think I have found the Surgeon I'd like to do this procedure. He's at U of Florida Gainesville, and the hospital would be Shands. Anyone know something of "bloodless" surgery at that facility? Or, does anyone have someone else in Florida who has done aortic replacement (dacron) and aortic valve repair? I will contact the Liason Committee in Gainesville area. I have until November before my next CT Scan.
    Thanks
    Larry

2. New Feature! NoBlood Answers!

• ASK questions regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.
    • SHARE your facts, opinions and personal experience.
    • DISCOVER the best answers chosen by Healthcare Professionals and the Public.
    • RANK the best answers.

Click here to see the Best Answers to Top Questions.

Tampa General Bloodless Medicine and Surgery Program

We have a number of excellent cardiothoracic surgeons in the Bloodless Program here at Tampa General Hospital who have had excellent results with high risk patients.

Please feel free to give me a call if I can be of assistance.

Robin Atkins, Coordinator
    813-844-7807
    Robin Atkins, Coordinator
    Bloodless Medicine and Surgery
    Tampa General Hospital
    Tampa, FL 33606
    (866) 662-5333

Thank You Robin!
    My wife's name is Robin, btw. I'll give you a call to ask which surgeon has done aorta replacement and valve repair. It's called the "David Procedure". This is good. Now I have 2 or 3 options to check into. I appreciate your reply. Thanks again.
    Larry

Healthcare Professional

An Additional Option

Larry,

If none of your other options works out for you we have a excellent CV Surgeon here at Baptist Health in Jacksonville that has performed this surgery numerous times at our Bloodless Center. He trained with Denton Cooley and is on the Branch list of consulting surgeons. He comes highly recommended.

I'm sure though that it would be more convenient for you to go somewhere closer to where you live and I know that Robin would take great care of you in Tampa. (Hi Robin!)

If you need any further information please just let me know. And all the best on your procedure.

Gary Butler - Manager
    Bloodless Medicine & Surgery
    Baptist Health
    Jacksonville FL
    904-202-3460
    gary.butler@bmcjax.com

Thank you, Gary.
    Yeah, Jacksonville is a little too far, however it's not out of the question. I think I will see a Surgeon in Gainesville (Shands UF), the Tampa Bloodless team, and the one my cardiologist reccommends in Kissimmee. Hopefully it will be easier to decide after talking with them, and hearing my options. Tampa's not highly rated in Cardiology...Shands is. But I know that's just one factor. The "team" that does this kind of operation is what's important....who runs the heart lung machine, the anestieologist sp?, others who have their role, etc..and of course the surgeon. And I have lousey insurance...maybe some of these guys wont even accept me. I have United Health Care Choice...Last year we had Choice Plus, which pays more.
    Thanks again!
    Larry

When I was doing my research to find a surgeon for my aortic valve replacement procedure, I used the surgeon finder tool at heart-valve-surgery.com. Very useful for narrowing down your choices by location and other criteria. Good luck to you. A very trying time, indeed.

Thank you jhammer! I'll look into that, although I think i have at least 2 excellent surgeons I'm checking into now. I'm not quite as worried after viewing "Aortic Symposium 2010" (hours of experts). It's worth a look.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by caernarfon View Post
    I'm a 58 yr old JW who will most likely need surgery for the above condition. I've been researching surgeons in Florida, because we live in Sarasota Fl.. I think I have found the Surgeon I'd like to do this procedure. He's at U of Florida Gainesville, and the hospital would be Shands. Anyone know something of "bloodless" surgery at that facility? Or, does anyone have someone else in Florida who has done aortic replacement (dacron) and aortic valve repair? I will contact the Liason Committee in Gainesville area. I have until November before my next CT Scan.
    Thanks
    Larry
    By Caitlin E. Cox
    Friday, October 12, 2012

In patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR), the need for blood transfusion is strongly linked to acute kidney injury (AKI), a complication that in turn predicts both short- and long-term mortality. The findings, published online October 9, 2012, ahead of print in Circulation: Cardiovascular Interventions, suggest that transfusion should be used judiciously but unfortunately fail to shed light on the mechanism involved.