Thread: Bloodless Pleurectomy

Bloodless Pleurectomy

My husband has Mesothelioma. His best option for extending his life is a pleurectomy. We entered into the International Mesothelioma Program at Brigham and Womens Hospital in Boston, MA last December. In our first visit, we informed them of our stand on blood and provided them with a copy of his Medical Directive and discussed some options with them. He has been receiving Chemotherapy. We hoped he would be scheduled for surgery when he finishes the next two treatments. I forwarded an article on the use of a cell saver in oncologic surgery which was referred to me by this site. They do not feel they can operate without the backup of a possible transfusion due the large blood loss (possibly 6-7 units) associated with this surgery. Does anyone know of a surgeon who would be willing to undertake this challenge?

2. New Feature! NoBlood Answers!

• ASK questions regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.
    • SHARE your facts, opinions and personal experience.
    • DISCOVER the best answers chosen by Healthcare Professionals and the Public.
    • RANK the best answers.

Click here to see the Best Answers to Top Questions.

You should speak to Dr. Cedric Sheffield's office at Tampa General (813-402-0654). Dr. Sheffield is a cardio-thoracic surgeon with the TGH Transplant Program and has performed numerous heart and lung surgeries for Jehovah's Witnesses.

Feel free to give me a call.

Robin Atkins, Coordinator TGH Bloodless Medicine and Surgery (813-844-7807).
    Last edited by Ratkins815; 04-21-2011 at 12:36 PM.
    Robin Atkins, Coordinator
    Bloodless Medicine and Surgery
    Tampa General Hospital
    Tampa, FL 33606
    (866) 662-5333