Thread: Low platelet count as result of chemo

Low platelet count as result of chemo

Hello to all,

I am searching for a alternative and safe way to raise my husbands platelet count. He is being treated with Nexavar for Stage 4 liver cancer as the only option available to him. Unfortunately, he also has paraesophageal varices and periportal varices, which make his platelet count considerably more critical from both a threat of bleeding to death or another period of his chemo being taken away.

I understand there are holistic ways to accomplish this. As a Pranic Healer with scanning abilities, I will be able to determine the correct dose, but don't know what is safely being used to help with this issue.

Is there anyone with experience and knowledge who is available to help us?

With gratitude,

D&R

2. New Feature! NoBlood Answers!

• ASK questions regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.
    • SHARE your facts, opinions and personal experience.
    • DISCOVER the best answers chosen by Healthcare Professionals and the Public.
    • RANK the best answers.

Click here to see the Best Answers to Top Questions.

Chemotherapy induced thrombocytopenia (platelet deficiency) may be treated with corticosteroids such as prednisone or vincristine, which slow down the destruction of platelets, or with intravenous gamma globulin (an antibody-containing protein), which has the same effect.

There are also recombinant (synthetic) platelet-stimulating growth factors, such as Interleukin-11 and thrombopoietin.

Finally, there are alternative so-called "natural" remedies that have been proposed as a way to boost platelet production, but the efficacy of these remains uncertain.

(See the thread http://www.noblood.org/ask-professio...let-count.html)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Informaticus View Post
    Chemotherapy induced thrombocytopenia (platelet deficiency) may be treated with corticosteroids such as prednisone or vincristine, which slow down the destruction of platelets, or with intravenous gamma globulin (an antibody-containing protein), which has the same effect.

There are also recombinant (synthetic) platelet-stimulating growth factors, such as Interleukin-11 and thrombopoietin.

Finally, there are alternative so-called "natural" remedies that have been proposed as a way to boost platelet production, but the efficacy of these remains uncertain.

(See the thread http://www.noblood.org/ask-professio...let-count.html)
    Hello Informaticus

I was wondering about thrombopoietin, you mentioned it but Thrombopoietin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia states it doesn't have a current therapeutic use

I was really interested in you mentioning use of the vinca alkaloid vincristine to increase platelets because I want to find out which drugs should be used for chemotherapy in patients with low blood counts as an alternative to transfusions of various components.

Please get back to me regarding this.

True, thrombopoietin (TPO) has only been used in clinical trials and has not been approved for general use.

With patients who refuse or cannot have blood transfusion support for their chemotherapy, cooperating physicians have opted for a lower-dose regimen chemo. Resulys vary, depending on the type of hematological malignancy, but of course there are no guarantees of a cure -- or even long term remission --even with aggressive chemo.