Thread: I was getting transfusions every 4-8 weeks...

I was getting transfusions every 4-8 weeks...

I was getting transfusions every 4-8 weeks about 1 1/2 years ago. Then was put on Prednisone and I didn't need one for a whole year. Now my hemoglobin has dropped back down to 6.1 and they are ordering me 2 units of packed red blood radiated every 3-4 weeks. My doctor is saying I have Mylodisplasia even though I don't have all the symptons and my 3 bone marrow biopsies were almost normal. They are trying EPO shots on me every 3 weeks. Is it dangerious to receive transfusions every 3-4 weeks? Do I have any other options? My veins are giving out and scare tissue is building up in them. I'm just so tired, because after the 2 units my blood is still really low. All I do is hear my heart beat in my ears.

Heidi

2. New Feature! NoBlood Answers!

• ASK questions regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.
    • SHARE your facts, opinions and personal experience.
    • DISCOVER the best answers chosen by Healthcare Professionals and the Public.
    • RANK the best answers.

Click here to see the Best Answers to Top Questions.

Blood Management

Please refer to the link below. You will find it very informative. Their are various questions that you can ask your doctor so you can come to a decision together.

A Patients Guide to Blood Management / Options