Thread: Erythroid Hyperplasia

Erythroid Hyperplasia

I just noticed on my BMB, the diagnosis reads:

"75-80% Panhyperplastic Marrow showing predominance of Erythroid Hyperplasia."

Can someone please explain to me what that means??? I cannot find anything "understandable" on the net...(i.e., in Patient Language )

Thanks so much.

2. New Feature! NoBlood Answers!

• ASK questions regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.
    • SHARE your facts, opinions and personal experience.
    • DISCOVER the best answers chosen by Healthcare Professionals and the Public.
    • RANK the best answers.

Click here to see the Best Answers to Top Questions.

Quote Originally Posted by LizzieG View Post
    I just noticed on my BMB, the diagnosis reads:

"75-80% Panhyperplastic Marrow showing predominance of Erythroid Hyperplasia."
    Can someone please explain to me what that means??? I cannot find anything "understandable" on the net...(i.e., in Patient Language )

I am not an oncologist, but here is my understanding in plain English:

BMB stands for bone marrow biopsy. This is a little more involved (and painful) than a simple bone marrow aspirate. A really big needle is screwed into the bone and a chunk of marrow is extracted.

Hyperplasia means rapid growth. It is distinct from neoplasia, which refers to uncontrolled growth or malignancy. Panhyperplastic means that the rapid growth is uniform, not patchy.

Erythroid is medicalese for red blood cell.

So this is not necessarily a concerning report. If you have a hemolytic anemia, or had recent significant blood loss, this sort of marrow response would be expected.
    Joseph T. Malak, MD

Thanks so much. Saw my Hematologist today... said basically the same: my RBCs are OVERproducing...then being quickly destroyed...Hemolytic Anemia, the genetic variety. Add to the mix a terrible fat-soluble vitamin deficiency, and I am sick. He wants to try me on some pancreatic enzymes first. If that doesnt' work, then a PICC line w/nutrients 1-2x weekly...is monitoring the iron, etc. Today's labs:

RBCs: 3.11 (up from July 3.02)
    HGH: 9.7 (down from July 9.8)
    HCT: 30.6 (up from July 29.9)
    MCH: 31.2 (down from 32.5)
    MCHC 31.7 (down from 32.8)
    PLT: 250 (down from 271)

They are not terribly better, by any means, and I have had a horrible summer...no energy, etc. The doc wants me to stop working in order for me to take care of me... so that is what I am up against.

I do appreciate your comments.