Thread: Jehovah's Witness Bone Marrow Transplant Program - Dr. Lill

Jehovah's Witness Bone Marrow Transplant Program - Dr. Lill

Michael Lill, MD
    Medical Director, Cedars-Sinai Outpatient Cancer Center
    Medical Director, Blood and Marrow Transplant Program
    Hematologist/Oncologist

Michael C. Lill, MD is Medical Director of the Blood and Marrow Transplant Program at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and Medical Director of the Cedars-Sinai Outpatient Cancer Center. He is also a Professor of Medicine at the David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). Prior to joining Cedars-Sinai, Dr. Lill served as Director of the Core Laboratory for Cellular and Gene Therapy at the UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center and was Medical Director of the UCLA Cord Blood Bank.

Dr. Lill's research interests focus on bone marrow and peripheral blood stem cell transplantation, cord blood transplantation, hematologic disorders, leukemia, lymphoma and growth factors. He currently has an active program in bloodless transplantation for Jehovah's Witnesses and is collaborating with cardiology to provide bone marrow stem cells for repair of the heart. Dr. Lill is listed as one of the "Best Doctors in America," as well as one of the "Best Cancer Doctors in America" in 2005, 2006 and 2007. He is Chair of the Bone Marrow Transplant Committee at Cedars-Sinai, which reviews cases presented for transplantation. He served as Chair of the Cedars-Sinai Cancer Committee and the Hematology/Radiation Oncology Performance Improvement Committee from 1997 to 1999.

Dr. Lill has published numerous articles on bone marrow and stem cell transplantation in peer-reviewed journals, such as the British Journal of Haematology, Blood, Bone Marrow Transplantation, Leukemia, Journal of the National Cancer Institute and Journal of Hematotherapy. He has written book chapters for Cancer Treatment, Cell Therapy and On Call In Bone Marrow Transplantation. Dr. Lill also served as a reviewer for several journals, including Blood, Bone Marrow Transplantation and Hematopoietic Therapy Index and Reviews.

Dr. Lill received his bachelor's and medical degrees from the University of Western Australia, Perth. He completed his internship, residency and fellowship training at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital in Nedlands, Western Australia. His fellowship training continued at the Royal Perth Hospital, Perth,Western Australia. In 1989 he joined UCLA as a visiting clinical instructor and later as a full-time clinical instructor.

Blood-Free Transplants for Jehovah's Witnesses

by Patricia Neighmond

Day to Day, February 28, 2008 Dr. Michael Lill, head of the bone marrow transplant program at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, has developed an unusual program. His tecnique enable patients who are Jehovah's Witnesses to receive bone marrow transplant without the blood transfusions their religion prohibits.

NPR Media Player
    Mr. Jan B. Wade
    Admin
    Email

Click here for the Best Questions and Answers regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.

2. New Feature! NoBlood Answers!

• ASK questions regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.
    • SHARE your facts, opinions and personal experience.
    • DISCOVER the best answers chosen by Healthcare Professionals and the Public.
    • RANK the best answers.

Click here to see the Best Answers to Top Questions.

I am looking for a medical facility that does no-blood bone marrow stem cell transplants to knee, hip and shoulder joints as an alternative to having surgical replacement, especially a total joint replacement. My PCP (Primary Care Physician) is trying to help me in this quest; however, he is not getting any information that makes him feel that there is enough data suggesting that this is a viable alternative to this type of surgery. Is there any help for this?

Check out the following site. I hope that this helps.

Bloodless Stem Cell Transplant Program at Pennsylvania Hospital

Hi StayClean, I can understand why you'd want to avoid a joint replacement. If you end of needing to go the hip replacement replacement route, please be sure to investigate the anterior approach. I was home 29 hours after surgery. I can send my blog if you email me - if allowed. charitydeb@gmail.com. We would have been home sooner, but needed to wait for physical therapy. My ortho surg has never given blood for this surgery. Best wishes on your search.

Quote Originally Posted by stayclean View Post
    I am looking for a medical facility that does no-blood bone marrow stem cell transplants to knee, hip and shoulder joints as an alternative to having surgical replacement, especially a total joint replacement. My PCP (Primary Care Physician) is trying to help me in this quest; however, he is not getting any information that makes him feel that there is enough data suggesting that this is a viable alternative to this type of surgery. Is there any help for this?