Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jehovah's necklaces

Jehovah's necklaces

Jehovah's necklaces

17/02/2008

Nurses are calling for Jehovah's Witnesses to wear special bracelets and necklaces so they won't be given "sinful" blood transfusions by mistake.

Most of Britain's 125,000 Witnesses carry pocketsized cards declaring their religious beliefs. But nurses say that in an emergency there may be no time to check a patient's pockets.

The Royal College of Nursing have urged the Watchtower Society, which represents the Witnesses, to ask members to wear the bracelets or necklaces.

The whole article

Mr. Jan B. Wade
    Admin
    Email

Click here for the Best Questions and Answers regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.

2. New Feature! NoBlood Answers!

• ASK questions regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.
    • SHARE your facts, opinions and personal experience.
    • DISCOVER the best answers chosen by Healthcare Professionals and the Public.
    • RANK the best answers.

Click here to see the Best Answers to Top Questions.

I thought about it in the past, and now I think it is important to do it.
    I'll get one of those bracelets or necklaces, in case they don't have time to look at my wallet.

Necklace cannot replace legal documentation

The idea of wearing a medical alert bracelet or necklace has been floating around now for quite a while, but please do not think for a moment that this alone will stop a blood transfusion in a medical emergency. In talking with the trauma team regarding the validity of the message on a medical alert, the view is different regarding life sustaining therapy than it is for a medical allergy or recognition of a specific diagnosis. If the jewelry were to say "NO BLOOD", it would also need to say something like the car window sticker many have "See Medical Directive in Glovebox" (or wallet in this case). There needs to be a completed POA or DPA that makes a legal case for NOT transfusing the individual, otherwise a trauma team will do everything possible to resuscitate the patient. Unfortunately, many individuals who have access to such documents continue to neglect the importance of completing and carrying the document with them, and until that situation is corrected, medical jewelry will make no difference in the individuals outcome if there is no one there to speak on their behalf.

Wink

I personally would feel better waiting until we're given the option
    to wear the jewelry. If we need it we will be given the opportunity.
    In the meantime, I'm going to make sure my medical directive etc. are in order.
    Take care of yourselves ,
    surfergrrl65

Wink

In any situation.....be prepared.

As one of Jehovah's Witnesses it is important that I have my information noted as much as I can and follow recommendations given by the society.

No one can predict what will happen to them at the next minute but they can investigate thier options for letting the health professionals know their wishes in an emergency. That in a nut shell is the best way to avoid an unwanted transfusion.

Thanks,
    Aaron
    Aaron Harrison, COLT,RPT,RMA,(AMT)

Question

I think a car sticker for the dashboard (rather than a window sticker - bit tacky) would be good so that if involved in a car accident it would be immediately noticed. Surely though emergency services would look for some form of ID and therefore would find my No Blood Card/Directive

I would like to wear the jewlery but I also have Fibromyalgia and i am very very sensitive to wearing necklaces, bracelets, watches and rings. I almost never do and when i do it is for very short times.

Friends of mine got keys chains made with what looks like a miniatgre AMD in it with instructions to find AMD in wallet. I might get one of those.

Smile No Blood Necklaces and Bracelets

I enjoyed this thread. Interestingly the request for such measures for identification comes from nurses who are advocates for the patients. Nobody can underestimate the power nurses have when it comes to advocating for the patient's well being. Having necklaces and bracelets is one more way to communicate your wishes to medical personal. This may trigger them to think twice before transfusing and perhaps look at previous medical history which at times pays off because their could be a DPA / POA on file with the hospital.

Take care and hurry up and complete those DPA's.

I wear a No Blood Transfusion bracelet, it states I'm on of Jehovah's Witnesses, and were to find my medical directive. It has the No Blood symbol on it, instead of that other symbol, common on medical alert jewelry. It's a comfort to me, and I have been spreading the word to my congregation, about it, and stuff said on here.
    I would like a necklace to, it's easier to put those on in a hurry.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phlebmaster View Post
    In any situation.....be prepared.

As one of Jehovah's Witnesses it is important that I have my information noted as much as I can and follow recommendations given by the society.

No one can predict what will happen to them at the next minute but they can investigate thier options for letting the health professionals know their wishes in an emergency. That in a nut shell is the best way to avoid an unwanted transfusion.

Thanks,
    Aaron
    When a friend's father, who is somewhat confused, was lost by the airlines between Alaska and Washington state (he was in a wheelchair, no less!) and ended being put back on a plane to his origination point, the daughter was upset they hadn't checked his pocket for the phone numbers to contact her. She was told that legally pockets and purses canNOT be checked for ID. That he would have needed a necklace or bracelet which was visible outside his clothes. This was corroborated by an EMT here. Just a heads up.

My husband and I have all our paperwork done and in our wallet or purse. Also copies of our DPA in the glove compartment. But I still worry about if they will look in my purse or not...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast