Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Raising Platelet Count

Raising Platelet Count

Is there any way to help raise platelet count without tranfusion? Diet? or?

2. New Feature! NoBlood Answers!

• ASK questions regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.
    • SHARE your facts, opinions and personal experience.
    • DISCOVER the best answers chosen by Healthcare Professionals and the Public.
    • RANK the best answers.

Click here to see the Best Answers to Top Questions.

Yes, there is a medication named NEUMEGA that is specifically for that purpose. It works off the same principle as does EPO
    Jim Laws

Jim,
    Is there anything "non" medical? My dad is trying to join a trial and found out it can't be drug or transfusion induced. Need to go from 58000 to 100,000 thx

Raising Platelets

My son in law is undergoing chemotherapy and was unable to receive chemo for low platelets. He was told to take RAPUNZEL SESAME OIL, 2 Tablespoons twice a day and to also rub it on externally on lymph node areas. They said if it was going to work it should take about 4 to 6 weeks. We heard about crushed sesame seeds from a relative and we tried giving him grocery store cheap sesame oil from the Asian section and it did nothing.

He has been taking the Rapunzel sesame oil for 5 weeks now and his platelets have risen by approximately 80 points the last 2 weeks.

I'd like to know if anyone else has tried this and if they have had success also. Because of this he has not missed anymore chemo.

This from the website LifeExtension. Anemia -Thrombocytopenia - Leukopenia - Print Version : Online Reference For Health Concerns

I pass it on only for your information as I have no idea how effective or safe these "natural remedies" are.

A specific natural therapy to restore healthy platelet production is 5 capsules a day of standardized shark liver oil, containing 200 mg of alkylglycerols per capsule. Studies have shown that shark liver oil can boost the production of blood platelets. Studies have also shown the immune enhancement capabilities of shark liver oil (Pugliese et al. 1998). As will be discussed later, melatonin may be an effective and safe therapy to treat thrombocytopenia.
    Shark oil capsules should be taken in high doses for a maximum period of only 30 days; otherwise, too many blood platelets might be produced.
    Studies have shown that supplemental melatonin in doses of 10-40 mg a night can protect and restore normal blood cell production caused by the toxicity of chemotherapy (Lissoni et al. 1994, 1996, 1997a; Neri et al 1998). A study was performed in 80 patients with metastatic solid tumors to evaluate the benefits of melatonin. Patients received either chemotherapy alone or chemotherapy plus 20 mg each night of melatonin. Thrombocytopenia was significantly less frequent in patients receiving melatonin (Lissoni et al. 1997b).
    Melatonin may also be an especially effective and safe therapy to correct thrombocytopenia, a condition characterized by a decrease in the number of blood platelets. A study was performed to evaluate the influence of melatonin on chemotherapy toxicity. Patients randomly received chemotherapy alone or chemotherapy plus melatonin (20 mg each evening). Thrombocytopenia was significantly less frequent in patients treated with melatonin (Lissoni 2002).

Platelets are up!

After doing more research on the sesame oil I found the following article.
    www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/72/3/804.pdf

At least there is a scientific explanation for the reason this could be raising my son in law's platelets.

His platelets are now in the "normal" range, the first time since he has been undergoing chemo (1 year).

If you are unable to receive chemo due to low platelets you have to try the Rapunzel Sesame Oil. I'll bet any cold pressed sesame oil would do but since we know Rapunzel works we are not going to change it. Give it 4 to 6 weeks.

I appreciate any and all information about raising the platelet count. I hope to try giving my husband shark liver oil, melatonin and sesame seed oil. At present, he is platelet transfusion and PRBC dependent. He suffers from frequent mild to profuse nosebleeds, which are difficult to control. Platelet transfusions help. In addition, I find that if I can control his hypertension, his nosebleeds tend to be less serious. I have tried juicing fresh pineapples for him, but they cause mouth sores. He seems to tolerate frozen pineapple juice and will take it with reluctance.
    I am grateful for any and all suggestions. I should add that my husband's counts are all very low and that he tires easily and sleeps or dozes a good part of the day.

I would like some information or ideas for raising the platelets count? My mom is under chemo
    and thats the reason why they are low.If there are ant type of vitamins,or food that might raise
    them.I appriciate anything you can refer me.
    Thanks,
    Gloria Obregon

Gloria, I understand that drinking fresh juice from a whole pineapple works for some people. Also, black sesame seeds are sometimes recommended. I hope they help your mom.
    All the best, bety

Platelet Count

How can platelets count be raised ? Currently 14 ! HELP !!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast