Thread: Epidural Blood Patch

Epidural Blood Patch

This is a quick question that came up while discussing this procedure with someone (it's my question, really, just out of curiosity)...

Is there a non-blood alternative for the Epidural Blood Patch, or any research in that area ongoing?

Thanks.
    -Doug
    Douglas Phillips

2. New Feature! NoBlood Answers!

• ASK questions regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.
    • SHARE your facts, opinions and personal experience.
    • DISCOVER the best answers chosen by Healthcare Professionals and the Public.
    • RANK the best answers.

Click here to see the Best Answers to Top Questions.

President & Webmaster LarryEitel's Avatar
    Doug, I found the following NoBlood thread which discusses an alternative. Perhaps there are other options. Blood Patch

Click here for the Best Questions and Answers regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.

Can you help us build and maintain this site?
    Please click here.
    Thank you.

Larry Eitel
    President & Webmaster

President & Webmaster LarryEitel's Avatar
    We have a relevant wiki article entitled "Patients Who Refuse Blood Transfusions - FAQs" that discusses reasons why someone might accept or decline the medical treatment Epidural Blood Patch.

Click here for the Best Questions and Answers regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.

Can you help us build and maintain this site?
    Please click here.
    Thank you.

Larry Eitel
    President & Webmaster

I put a link to the Wiki article on the other thread. Here it is again: http://www.noblood.org/wiki/Patients...fusions_-_FAQs for those who would like to review the article as it is being developed, or who would like to make a contribution of their own to any section of it.
    Jan Grossberg, RN, BSN
    Editorial Team

In reading the article there is no definition of PDPH at least I cannot find one. Shouldn't it be defined somewhere other than using it in the last paragraph without explanation?
    Jan
    Jan Graziani - LVN
    Chicago, IL USA

Ppdh

Jan: PPDH stands for post puncture dural headache. I noted your question and put the definition in parentheses after the acronym in the article/ the other Jan
    Quote Originally Posted by jgraziani View Post
    In reading the article there is no definition of PDPH at least I cannot find one. Shouldn't it be defined somewhere other than using it in the last paragraph without explanation?
    Jan
    Jan Grossberg, RN, BSN
    Editorial Team

Red face

That was a great article! At least the parts I could understand, like the pictures ;p

I really appreciate the detailed explanation but I do have a question. Is it always done with both ends of the tubes in place and the syringe connecting? When I first heard of it no details were given and I imagined the blood was totally removed, set aside and used at the opportune time. (Which appears to be wrong in view of your article)