Thread: A new hemostatic agent!

Talking A new hemostatic agent!

I am very interested in finding alternatives to blood and blood products. I meet up with a rep from Quikclot. As anyone come across this? I am trying to introduce this into my Trust and thought I would share my find. If anyone has used it would they let me know what they thought please.
    The website is www.quikclotinternational.com
    Have a look it's very inpressive I am sure you will agree......

2. New Feature! NoBlood Answers!

• ASK questions regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.
    • SHARE your facts, opinions and personal experience.
    • DISCOVER the best answers chosen by Healthcare Professionals and the Public.
    • RANK the best answers.

Click here to see the Best Answers to Top Questions.

Just a few days ago one of our physician residents told me about a trauma conference he attended in Detroit. There was a presentation on Quickclot that included a case of a helicopter pilot who was rescusing some wounded soldiers in Afganistan and was shot in the neck. It tore through his carotid artery. They applied Quickclot, and it immediately stopped the bleeding, he was able to fly the heliocopter to safety. He walked in holding the side of his neck, gave report and then when all others were taken care of asked the surgeon to look at his neck. They of course immediately took him to surgery and were able to repair the carotid. I was very impressed!! Thank you for the website

Healthcare Professional

Quikclot

Are any of you out there familiar with this product? Is it similar to what is already available in the U.S.?
    Heidi

I know they are using this in the field, and American soldiers have taken it to war with them but not sure if it's in any of the hospitals? If it is I would be very interested in how it's used and what for etc........I am sure it's going to be the new big up and coming product just like factor 7a it all seems to start on the battle field!

jvarisco
    I called the company a year or so ago, and at the time Quikclot was only available to the military. Ambulance services in the Houston, Texas area tried to get it, but it was unavailable to them also. ER vehicles use a starch product called Traumadex for quick wound clotting.

jvarisco
    Information on TraumaDEX can be found at: www.merginet.com/tools_technology/products/traumadex.cfm
    Researcher beware-graphic pictures- for the faint hearted.

Just to up date you all, I am now in talks with quikclot and am looking at getting in our trust within the next couple of months. They now do it what I have no other word for than a tea bag! It is better than the granules in the sence that it as larger granules in like a cloth! This is going to be the next up and coming product that will same so many lives. I am so excited about getting this as I can't wait to see peoples faces when we use it, and how they will react!

www.quikclot.com

Its all here at this site!
    HLCJIM

Professional
    Does anyone have any idea whether this product has been used at all in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by mycues
    Does anyone have any idea whether this product has been used at all in the UK?

As far as I am aware it is on one of the fleets of ambulances, I am going to start using in in our trust in about 2 months? Hopefully!