Thread: Average Blood/Transfusion Costs

Average Blood/Transfusion Costs

I'm looking for some help in finding out the average blood/transfusion costs (Northeast US) for 1 unit of whole blood. I've seen older data with costs ranging anywhere from $185-$550.

Any help would be appreciated!!

2. New Feature! NoBlood Answers!

• ASK questions regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.
    • SHARE your facts, opinions and personal experience.
    • DISCOVER the best answers chosen by Healthcare Professionals and the Public.
    • RANK the best answers.

Click here to see the Best Answers to Top Questions.

The eternal question... I don't know if anyone has ever been able to get a definitive answer.
    Michelle Thomas, RNC

Average blood/transfusion costs

There is a "potential" two leads that I have for you...perhaps you may have this information. If not, here is the long shot...

In reference to you seeking information about the average cost of one unit of blood/transfusion in the in the North East US and I Spoke to Dr. Gerrhety of the RC Educational Division, and he will be speaking to another colleague to see if they can find the statistical data. Eventhough he said that this is hard data to nail down, he knows that they do have it. It is just locating it and when he does, he will call me.

Another potential resource for national statistics would be the National Blood Data Resource Center (NBDRC). NBDRC is an independent, not-for-profit corporation, founded by the AABB. NBDRC collects, analyzes and distributes data on all aspects of blood banking. NBDRC website address: (http://www.nbdrc.org/). National Blood Data Resource Center 8101 Glenbrook Road Bethesda, MD 20814-2749 Phone (301) 215-6506 Fax (301)-951-3637 E-mail: info@nbdrc.org

Hope this is something of what you are seeking. If not, I'll keep searching...

Transfusion cost

Hi,

Typical cost of PRBC is about $200-230 (in 200708), Actual transfusion procedural costs vary between hospitals (and between estimates) from about $250 to $550 per unit. You also realize an about 30% saving for each unit transfused after the first one. Full costs of transfusion were estimated much higher - see the link below for a sample.
    http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php...ol9n2/cost.xml

Cost of blood

Quote Originally Posted by trepka1440 View Post
    I'm looking for some help in finding out the average blood/transfusion costs (Northeast US) for 1 unit of whole blood. I've seen older data with costs ranging anywhere from $185-$550.

Any help would be appreciated!!
    You may find the following references useful which put the real cost of a unit of blood at $1,400:
    Aryeh Shander, et al., Best Practice & Research Clinical Anaesthesiology Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 271–289, 2007 Estimating the cost of blood: past, present, and future directions

Dr. James Stubbs, Chair of the Division of Transfusion Medicine, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology at Mayo Clinic. Allogeneic Blood Transfusions, Why Do We Even Care?
    Slide Presentation available online at Hot Topic - Allogeneic Blood Transfusions - Mayo Medical Laboratories accessed 29 March 2013

In the April 2010 issue of Transfusion, blood transfusion costs were found to be between $522 and $1,183 per-unit. Past studies do not necessarily include the associated costs.

From the time of the advertising to get donors, until the collection, storage, type, cross, and then transfusion, there are many hands and labs that are involved. And this does not even account for the occasional problems with transfusions.

Some states do not allow blood to be bought or sold. This means the blood is paid for in a secondary way.

Then there are the medicare exacta regs. These specify what the hospitals can charge for blood by saying what will be paid for. They were state specific in the past. So, if in one state the regs do not allow for payment for the first unit, be assured the doctors will often find that the patent needs two units. This is especially true of patients with GI bleeds that come in at 10 PM in non-bloodless hospitals. So, if the regs specify that a transfusion pays $1500, well, that is how much it will cost. In Pennsylvania, the cost was $1500 over a decade ago. i do not know current reg values but they may have decreased.

I believe Medicare may not pay for the first 3 units currently (both A and B). Hospitals are in the business of being profitable. So the cost will be recouped somehow.