Thread: Cell saver - which one?

robd

Question Cell saver - which one?

Just a general question from a nonprofessional.

In the UK there appears to be three market leading Cell Salvage suppliers - Haemonetics, Fresenius and Sorin. I'm interested in the relative merits of each gained from people's experience of using them? (Not too focussed on purchased cost - more functionality / after sales support / etc)

Hope i'm allowed to ask that!?!

Thanks in advance

2. New Feature! NoBlood Answers!

• ASK questions regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.
    • SHARE your facts, opinions and personal experience.
    • DISCOVER the best answers chosen by Healthcare Professionals and the Public.
    • RANK the best answers.

Click here to see the Best Answers to Top Questions.

Rob
    You are correct regarding the 3 cell savers seen in the UK market + Medtronic entering the market recently. Haemonetics have the largest market share. Fresenius offer continuous processing on their machine. Haemonetics, Fresenius and Sorin require some user programming whereas the Medtronic device has a fixed programme.
    Hope this helps.
    AndyW.

Healthcare Professional
    You might want to check out this article below,
    Good luck.
    -KS

J Extra Corpor Technol. 2003 Mar;35(1):28-34.

Quality of red blood cells using autotransfusion devices: a comparative analysis.

Serrick CJ, Scholz M, Melo A, Singh O, Noel D.

Trillium Health Centre, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. cserrick@thc.on.ca

Cell salvage devices are routinely used to process and wash red blood cells (RBCs) shed during surgical interventions. Although the principle theory of cell saving is the same, the actual process to achieve this is very different from one device to another. The purpose of this study was to compare the quality of washed, concentrated RBC produced by five very different cell-saving devices, specifically the Cobe BRAT 2, Medtronic Sequestra 1000, Haemonetics Cell Saver 5, Medtronic Autolog, and the Fresenius CATS. Reservoir and washed red blood cells were analyzed for hematocrit (Hct), platelets (PLT), leukocytes (WBC), potassium (K+), heparin, plasma-free hemoglobin (PFH), RBC mass recovery and recovery rate. The Haemonetics and BRAT 2 had the highest RBC recovery. All devices adequately removed heparin and potassium. The Medtronic Autolog had the highest removal of platelets and PFH; whereas, the BRAT had the lowest. Although the Autolog had the highest leukocyte removal, leukocytes were not adequately washed out by any of the autotransfusion devices. In conclusion, although all cell-saving devices use the same theory of centrifugation, the actual quality of the washed RBC product differs widely from one device to another.
    Keith A. Samolyk CCP, LCP
    Global Blood Resources LLC
    P.O. Box 383 Somers CT. 06071
    Tel (800) - 942 - 9243
    Fax (860) - 285 - 0289
    www.mybloodfirst.com

Hi There,
    We have three hemonetic machines in our trust. (cell saver 5) we went with them because there training package and after support seemed good. I must say they have kept there word and are exellent. (May I add I have no other dealing with Hemonetics and do not work or recive any monies by saying this it is just what we have found as a trust.) If you need any more info about what help and support we have had and continue to have just contact me....
    Cheers
    Melanie

It's a little late for a reply but may prove useful to anyone browsing - Fresenius has the advantage of being available with a smaller processing bowl and hence can be used for minors.

Healthcare Professional

Medtronic Autolog

I have been working in the autotrasnfusion field for over 5 years now. I began on the Haemonetics Cell Saver 5 as well as Medtronics Sequestra and El-Med. I find that the best machine out there is now the Medtronic Autolog. It is more efficient than the others and it washes faster with less saline, reducing the biohazardous waste at the end of a procedure. In emergency situations, this machine has a great benefit that it still washes with the proper amount and you can get the blood back to the patient sooner. I have been propsing that all the hospitals for which my company provides service utilize this machine.

Andi Messina - Contran Autotransfusion