Thread: Advance Directives

Advance Directives

If you want to be prepared for an emergency you must assume (be prepared for) several things 1) You will arrive at the Emergency Room unable to speak for yourself 2) Emergency Room Doctors or Surgeons will transfuse blood based on a standard treatment protocol unless instructed not to by an advance directive or an available family member 3) It is highly unlikely that your primary physician will be part of the treatment team in ER or Surgery. The primary physician might find out about your hospitalization days later or not at all.

Being unable to communicate your wishes you must have something with you that can speak for you - Advance Healthcare Directives or Durable Power of Attorney forms speak for you when you can't speak for yourself. They can tell physicians that you do not want blood under any circumstances or that you will accept blood only after available/applicable alternatives have been used. By taking a blood avoidance posture blood transfusions can often be avoided.
    Mr. Jan B. Wade
    Admin
    Email

Click here for the Best Questions and Answers regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.

2. New Feature! NoBlood Answers!

• ASK questions regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.
    • SHARE your facts, opinions and personal experience.
    • DISCOVER the best answers chosen by Healthcare Professionals and the Public.
    • RANK the best answers.

Click here to see the Best Answers to Top Questions.

lstory

Advanced Directive

I am a disfellowshipped JW who is working very hard to come back into the congregation. In the meantime though, my wife needs surgery and I need a generic advanced medical directive that leaves out the part about being a JW. Can you either post one or e-mail me with an attachment. The hospital is asking for one.

jvarisco

Advance Directives

Quote Originally Posted by lstory
    I am a disfellowshipped JW who is working very hard to come back into the congregation. In the meantime though, my wife needs surgery and I need a generic advanced medical directive that leaves out the part about being a JW. Can you either post one or e-mail me with an attachment. The hospital is asking for one.
    You can access Advance Directives on line at www.choices.org for your state specific documents. They should include an area where you can state your specific medical treatment concerns. It may be about artificial nutrition, CPR, kidney-dialysis or receiving blood transfusions. Just download the documents, fill them out according to your wishes and have them properly witnessed.

Advance Directive

Quote Originally Posted by lstory
    There is a way to handle this. I will send a private message.
    Mr. Jan B. Wade
    Admin
    Email

Click here for the Best Questions and Answers regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.